How to Play Piano
I would truly wish that in a few simple paragraphs bestow upon you wisdom on How to Play piano. The truth of the matter is learning how to play piano does require dedication. You can pick up some songs pretty quick if you have good musicality. However if you wish to master the piano it will take a lot more dedication. That being said success comes quick and it’s fun! (*Take it for me I walked that path as well).
With the above said let’s do a quick dive into How to Play piano!
How to Play Piano : Basic Concepts
- Posture at the keyboard:
- Sitting tall is very important so as you can reach all the keys.
- Fluent response to finger numbers.
- When starting out it’s good to think that your fingers have numbers starting with one of the thumb working to five of the thinking on both hands.
- Use of a little weight when dropping into a key to make soft tones.
- Use of more weight when dropping into a key to make louder tones.
- Importance of playing with a rounded hand
- Awareness of Right hand and Left hand
- We go down the keyboard to left and we go up the keyboard to the right.
- Concept of stepping up and stepping down the keyboard
- Concept of low sounds and high sounds
- Recognition of groups of 2 black keys and 3 black keys
- Whole and quarter notes
- Bar lines that divides equal measures of four whole notes.
- Double bar at end of piece
- “Sing Along!” (for left hand)
- “End of Song” (for right hand)
How to Play Piano: The Next Step
If you sort through it begin to understand all the points listed above. The next phase would be to buy a simple piano music book, and start to work through the songs. Some things to keep in mind while playing would be rhythm, timing, and emphasis on different notes.
Again I’ll stress that it’s beyond the scope of one article to impart how to play piano.
Another good resource I’d recommend checking out would be classes online and how to play piano. One of the online classes I recommend a great 30 day online how to play piano program.
The program features a lot of online videos and tutorials to walk you through the process of learning the above steps. It also has a great online community of other teachers and students much like yourself who are learning.
You can try it out with a free 14 day trial above in which you will start to learn the following.
- How to play piano with a new techniques that cut down learning time by about one tenth.
- Everything you need is found online, no fuss, no confusion.
- Be reading music and writing your own in just weeks.
- Play by ear even if you have never learned an instrument before.
- Use the instincts that human beings have been using for thousands of years to play awesome music.
This is what I recommend for a next step. The videos are easy to understand, there is a high success rate using the techniques that they talk about, and it’s very convenient to learn from your phone or tablet, over flipping through book and losing pages.
How to Play Piano : Summary
As touched on above, there are a lot of basic elements to learn. From those basic elements you start branching off in learning more. The recommendation would be to take the 14 day free trial at the site above and use that as a launching point to further dive into your studies.
As always I hope you found the above information useful I look forward to hearing you play sometime soon.